It isn’t the best possible phrase to be governed by “in terms of” in the pages of
The Guardian, but the combination below may be the archetypal item of Guardianese:
And what about the leather? Was that also a signal? [Rob Halford:] “It wasn’t conscious. But how ironic that I chose that look – Glenn, the biker from the Village People. That wasn’t my attachment, in terms of the gay community, but I understood the power of that look.” — How Judas Priest invented heavy metal, The Guardian, 10×2010.
• All posts interrogating issues around “in terms of”
• All posts interrogating issues around the Guardian-reading community and its affiliates
The title of this post was originally “Highway to Hal”, which is feeble. I don’t know why I didn’t think a bit longer and come up with the present title, which has a double entendre (your actual French, ducky).
I didn’t feel the need to read this. Just knowing it’s there is enough.
• Coming Out as a Gay Orthodox Talmud Teacher
It would have been even better if it had been in The Guardian, but this is an imperfect world.
‘We’re stepping out of a binary’ – celebrating the art of marginalized LGBT Muslims
[…] The show features artwork themed around issues of Islamophobia, racism and homophobia to “highlight the struggles common among contemporary Muslim queer, trans and gender non-conforming communities,” said co-curator and activist Yas Ahmed. — ‘We’re stepping out of a binary’, The Guardian, 22/i/2018.
• Oh My Guardian #1
• Oh My Guardian #2
• Oh My Guardian #3
• Oh My Guardian #4
• Reds under the Thread
Papyrocentric Performativity Presents:
• Sympathetic Sinner – The Light of Day, Eric Ambler (1962)
• Voy Polloi – The Voynich Manuscript: the unsolved riddle of an extraordinary book which has defied interpretation for centuries, Gerry Kennedy and Rob Churchill (Orion paperback 2005)
• Non Angeli, Sed Anglicani – That Was The Church That Was: How the Church of England Lost the English People, Andrew Brown and Linda Woodhead (Bloomsbury 2016)
• Geller Feller – The Magic of Uri Geller, as revealed by the Amazing Randi (1982)
• Voy Veh – The Voyeur’s Motel, Gay Talese (2016)
• Or Read a Review at Random: RaRaR
“The Naz and Matt Foundation was announced at a special service held in London for Nazim, two weeks after his funeral. The service featured contributions from a gay Muslim, gay Hindu, a gay vicar, a trainee Rabbi and a lesbian interfaith minister.” — My boyfriend killed himself because his family couldn’t accept that he was gay, The Guardian, 21/iii/2015.
Proviously post-posted (please peruse):
• Oh My Guardian #2
Papyrocentric Performativity Presents…
Ink for Your Pelf — Literary Theory: An Introduction, Terry Eagleton (1996)
Queer Logorrhoea — Lesbian and Gay Studies: A Critical Introduction, Andy Medhurst and Sally R. Munt (1997)
Cigarettes and Al-Qaeda — Hitch-22: A Memoir, Christopher Hitchens (2010)
I identify as √-37 (the square root of -37) in bases 5 (on Mondays and Wednesdays), 17 (Tuesdays, Thursdays and alternate Saturdays) and 89 (Fridays, Sundays and alternate Saturdays).
My preferred pronouns are 6.08276i, 雲 and მსოფლიოს მეფე.