When the sands are all dry, he is gay as a lark,
And will talk in contemptuous tones of the Shark:
But, when the tide rises and Sharks are around,
His voice has a timid & tremulous sound. — Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland (1865)
Study of waves, wave-crests and foam by the Armenian artist Ivan Aivazovsky (1817-1900)
Aivazovsky was a citizen of Imperial Russia whose name is Հովհաննես Այվազյան in Armenian and Иван Айвазовский in Russian.
N.B. The title of this incendiary intervention is a paronomasia on Kenneth Anger’s film Lucifer Rising (1972) (which I ain’t never seen nohow).
• Eyeway to Ell — a better paronamasia than this one…
• Songs from the Center of the Sun — an interview with Faster Than Lichen
• The Gold and the Grey — a pre-previous pre-posting of another version of this image
(click image for full size)
Papyrocentric Performativity Presents:
• Bullets and Butterflies – Mad Dog Killers: The Story of a Congo Mercenary, Ivan Smith (Helion / 30° South Publishers 2012)
• Jaundiced on George – George Orwell: English Rebel, Robert Colls (Oxford University Press 2013)
• Crabsody in View – RSPB Handbook of the Seashore, Maya Plass (Bloomsbury 2013)
Or Read a Review at Random: RaRaR